You know when you mean to make something but you end up making something else? Do you? I keep having one of those moments where I go to make my regular vanilla creme brulee (which is very delicious) but every time while making it I think awww just add the honey and orange juice, you can make plain vanilla next time. I have been doing this so much lately I've come to realise that
orange and honey creme brulee is my new favorite!!! It is so silky and smooth and just the right amount of sweetness with a good flavour - I just LOVE it!!!
250ml full cream milk
1 vanilla pod
2- 3 generous tablespoons honey
1 large orange
6 large egg yolks
1) in a small saucepan put the cream, milk and seeds scraped out from the vanilla pod as well as the empty pod into the pot. Slowly bring to the boil - just before it boils over -remove from stove top.
2) in a bowl/jug mix together the egg yolks and honey.
3) allow the vanilla milk mixture to cool slightly before pouring into the eggs and honey - stir while adding the vanilla milk
4) place it into the pot again and slowly heat while stirring, remove the vanilla pod.
5) cut open the orange and squeeze over the pot and taste. Keep adding orange juice until desired taste is reached ( i usually squeeze one lasrge orange into the mix) - let mixture thicken slightly from stirring over low heat.
6) pour into ramekins or tea cups.
5) place the cups in an oven proof dish (deep roasting tray or bakeware) and place boiling water half way up the outsides of the cups/ramekins and place in the oven of 160 degrees celcius
6) bake for 10 - 15 min and remove from oven when there is a set layer on top of the mixture when you tilt the custard -it ripples or moves a bit from underneath the thickish milk skin
let it cool then place in the fridge for a minimum of 2-3 hours
they can be kept in the fridge covered for 3 or 4 days
take out and sprinkle castor sugar on top and caramelise with a chefs blow torch or put under the grill of the oven but watch CAREFULLY as it will burn very easily
There really is something so soothing about eating these delicious little treats